Monday, November 17, 2008

A Pilgrims Progress (Spiritist Church, and Surfer Evangelism)

Today I worked on the Jefferson's newsletter and some financial stuff from my home. This allowed me to also make some final rounds to the people/places I visit regularly.

Huge Team!
This morning I sent an email to 100 friends who either asked to be on my update list, or joined our team through prayer or financial support. My Mom and siblings also sent my specific prayer requests to their small groups and friends asking that all ask our Father to reveal Himself to many friends and aquaintances I have made here in Salvador.

One of the Weirdest Things I've Ever Done...Obviously God's Idea
My first stop this morning was to a spiritist church that I pass by most mornings. I've noticed that Mondays are their day of worship (with music, prayer, and ceremonial cleansing (popcorn sprinkled over the head, and leafy branches brushed over the body like a security wand in the airport)). As I got closer and closer I started to get nervous, not knowing exactly how it was all gonna go down. The disciples of Jesus' day were sometimes received well, and other times persecuted, so I did not know which way it would go today.

As I started to get nervous the Lord reminded me that I really had no reason to fear, and I proceded with more confidence and joy in what HE had planned to do through me. People who'd just left church walked towards me and I gave one lady a tract and Book of Luke in Portuguese. She asked how much she had to pay and I was so glad to tell her that it was free, as is the gift of salvation through Jesus. At her church you have to pay for blessings and freedom from the evil spirits and such. She seemed surprised and thankful.

Now let's skip past several similar opportunities to the moment when I stepped onto the church grounds and saw armed guards standing to my left. Yikes, I'd never noticed them before.

Conversations about Spiritism and Jesus Christ!
I prayed and then began asking questions of one lady who was selling idols. She told me some about what was going on, and I began to tell her what the Bible says. She then told me that I should be very careful because I was in danger. Next to her was a lady in a large, white, hooped dress with a white turbine-like hat sprinkling a man with popcorn in exchange for money.

Since I was not received there, I went to the stand beside them where a man and woman were selling fruit. I bought a banana that they tried to give me for free and then began talking with them about their beliefs and mine. I told them that the Bible says that Jesus is the only Way, Truth and Life, and that no one gets to the Father accept through Him. I also told them that the gift of salvation is free through faith in Christ Jesus, and that they did not need these ceremonies since only Jesus saves. They listened and responded, so as the Lord kept forming my thoughts and helping me remember Portuguese words we kept visiting. In the end I gave them tracts and the Book of Luke in Portuguese and they both began reading before I left.

During that friendly conversation I noticed that the first lady who'd told me to be careful had repositioned her chair so that she could see me around the corner and hear what we were talking about at the next booth, so I went back to her and asked if she would also like the literature and some more conversation. She said she would like it indeed. While I was there the man that was paying for his popcorn baptism held out his hand for one, and motioned that I should give one to the witch (I'm not sure what they are really called) as well. So I did...praise the LORD. Amen!

To the Beach for Follow-up Conversations
I gave out a few more tracts and headed down to the beach to reconnect with some people I spoke with a few days ago. It really helps that I resemble someone very famous here so many people begin conversations with me and we end up talking about my purpose for being here, to which they often respond with curiosity and questions about my faith. Amen! I truly stand in amazement of God's awesome plan in all of this!

I saw my surfer friend giving lessons and we talked for about 20 mintues, confirming that we would meet to talk more about the Bible at 4. On my way home I spoke with a few more people and then did some work at minha casa (my apartment).

Talk with Surfer Friend João
My 4:00 talk with my surfer friend/acquaintance was nice though somehow he had missed the fact that I am leaving this week and it would be our last time to talk. (I'm really sorry that this caught him off guard because I had tried to communicate that well. It was our first and last time to meet up on purpose). He asked many questions about the Bible and we basically started in Genesis, moved through to Christ's death and resurrection, and ended with what that means for us today. I urged him to read Luke and to ask God to reveal the truth of Himself to him. I also had the privledge of giving him an audio Bible to listen to. His simplicity, genuine kindness, and respect towards me have been a breath of fresh air since many men here are quite the opposite.

Unexpected Lesson/Opportunity of the Day
I then climbed back up the hill to the spiritist church and decided to catch a taxi since it was dark and dangerous. There amidst all of the religious ceremonies, and accompanying drunken, loud partying and dancing, a nice man tried to help me find the driver of the taxi that was parked nearby. We finally found him at the bar, but he was too confused (drunk) to know where my apartment was, though totally willing to drive me there. I politely declined. Duh!!

The nice man that was helping me said that I should just wait because people arrive there by taxi every 3 minutes and he would help me flag one down when it emptied out. 3 minutes turned into 30 minutes of me standing alone, in the dark, on the edge of all the spirit worship and partying. I started to pray about why the Lord was leaving me there and I began to see that it was kinda sad that I was spending all my stranded time totally seperate from the people Jesus loves. SO, I walked towards the group of people my age, dancing on the side of the street, and asked if anyone spoke English. One gal did and we hit it off immediately (like I ever meet a Brazilian that I don't hit it off with right away. They are SO friendly!).

Almost Lost the Chance to Talk about Jesus over a Man-made Rule on Alcohol
Our conversation led to my purpose for being in Brazil, and of course they found out I was an evangelical missionary. Several of her friends started to bail on the conversation when they found that out, saying that I would not want to hang out with them since they were drinking beer. I told them that that was absolutely NOT the case and that though I do not personally drink (wasn't raised with it and haven't aquired the taste), I did not mind that they were [**We know the Bible forbids drukenness, but these people were likely not believers and I was not about to teach them to be moral before teaching them to love and follow Jesus!!! In so doing we make many religious-law-keepers that are going to hell because their heart never trusted in Jesus. I do not believe that the person who never touches alcohol is wrong, nor do I believe the guy who drinks alcohol in moderation is wrong...if their heart and motive belong to Christ. The Bible says that each should live according to his conviction, as unto the Lord, and not tell everyone else to do exactly what he does. These disputable matters should be governed by the Holy Spirit in us, not made into a rule that teaches people that listening to the Holy Spirit is not even really important in their day to day walk with God, but rather rules are]. Praise Jesus for the fact that our conversation was not totally extinguished there! HOW SAD is it that unbelievers who drink beer have been taught that followers of Christ do not love or like them for that one fact!!??!!! Oh my gosh that really fires me up.

Long story short...another girl who spoke English came out of no where, was not under the influence, and offered me a ride home. She was totally nice too. Yay!

What a really cool day! I am now really, really looking forward to what the Lord will do in the coming days with about 150 people asking Him. Approaching people in the middle of their spirit worship was the most nerve-racking goal of my week. The coming conversations are with friends, and of no less importance. These are critical days in our Kingdom work here, and I beg the Lord to call these friends to Himself!

With love and thanks,

Sarah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was an amazing story, Sarah, in every sense of the word. Reading it truly made my evening. I cannot wait until you come home to give you a great big American hug!

Justin and Rachel Smith said...

Hey Sarah,
I'm so excited that you're coming home, but know that God has used you and pray that He'll send you back, if it be His will, to be used more by Him.
Call me when you get home. I can't wait to see your eyes shine as you talk about this!
Rach