Sunday, August 24, 2008

Book about Jim Elliot

Since my apartment is owned by the International Mission Board and serves as storage for many missionaries in the area, the wall-sized bookcase in my room is FULL of missions related books that have gathered there over the years. This week I pulled a few that most interested me. I started with one called "Jim Elliot--Missionary to Ecuador" and have to make myself put it down. Most of you know that Jim was killed by the indiginous people that he had prepared something like 10 years to find, develop a written language for, and share the gospel with. Reading about all of his preparation and difficult conversations with the Lord in his journals have hit such a cord in my heart right now. I too know a deep love for a people who have not heard the gospel, and I have yet to meet. He really was a religious punk, though with a true heart to follow and serve God, until he matured after college. He struggled for 5 years with the fact that he was in love with a friend named Elisabeth but had promised God to serve in the jungles, single for his entire life. Tears stream down my face as I read of his love for her, trumped by his love for God and the genuine struggle therein. I am learning a lot about preparations for the mission field through the actions of he and his friends/teammates and am praying about some steps I may need to take. I´m praising the Lord for the timing and effect of this book!

No comments: