Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Love Brazil!

Being emersed in a language is truly a wonderful way to learn it. The Jefferson´s have encouraged me to mimic everything I hear and just repeat, repeat, repeat. Everytime we are in the car I am learning Portuguese words and phrases. I have a Portuguese teacher and began lessons with her last week. My first one was 4 hours and not boring for a second. I also have a guitar teacher who is a college student and proficient in 13 instruments. He is also teaching me the culture and slang from a young, native Brazilian´s perspective. Both teachers go to my church and will likely become friends!

I go on a downhill walk every morning to exercise, pray, and observe culture in the raw. I discovered that the ocean is only 15 minutes away on foot! Never having lived near the ocean I am discovering a new and powerful love. The houses are made of concrete and would be considered condemned in the States. You would probably consider the city very worn and dirty (though it has it's nice spots too) but that is the culture and charm of this place.


Two views from my morning walks in Salvador


The people are SO warm and I love greating people with a kiss on each cheek! Our church is pretty large (about a thousand I guess) and the pastor made me stand up so he could tell everyone about me on my first Sunday there. I was greeted by many after church (the Jefferson´s are dearly loved) and loved that they tried to speak to me in English. The worship music sounded like it was from a jazz club, and that Sunday I also began learning a lot of Brazilian sign language through watching interpreters, talking to bag boys in grocery stores (most of them are deaf!), and asking a gal from church for help. Praise the Lord! I did not know that my sign language would come in handy here!

A few nights ago I sang at a very small church an hour and a half away. The congregation sang along in Portuguese as I sang Agnus Dei in English and ASL (sign language). I felt like I was in heaven ("ceu" in Portuguese) for a moment...but there it will be even more beautiful!

No comments: