Friday, October 10, 2008

Church Building Prep.

Team work in the Quilombo
Earlier this week the Jefferson's and I travelled into the interior to purchase church building materials and have them delivered to the Quilombo. In true Brazilian style, the bricks were not ready when we got there, so we were told to come back the next day (or possibly the next day). We got hotel rooms, purchased wood and roofing, and by dark the next day we had led a 18-wheel, flat bed truck, carrying 1700 cinder blocks down steep roads full of deep ruts into our precious village. We'd asked a Christian in the village to round up a few men that would help us unload the bricks, and to make sure they knew it was not a paying job. I was a little concerned because it was dark, the bricks are pretty fragile on bad roads, and we were only hoping that someone would show up to help us unload! When we arrived there were about 30 villagers waiting in the street for us! Right away they began unloading and about 45 minutes later we had a big stack of bricks!

The really cool part of this is that most of these people are not believers. It was a team effort that was enjoyed by all and a perfect and unexpected chance to preach the good news because all were gathered 'round at the end! Keith praised the Lord for what He's doing among them and gave the men a challenge to follow Christ. Then several Christians started proclaiming that they would be the first to marry in the new church (Quilombolas are never officially married). Oh man I would love to be there for that! This particular village has about 15 Christians...of which 2 are men.


I played with the children so as to keep them away from the heavy bricks for the evening. We took lots of pictures, played London Bridges and Ring Around the Rosie (in Portuguese). I can not wait to see them again!

(So happy they were in clothes this time because trying to take "shareable" pictures has been quite a task in the past. I think the pastor reprimanded the mommas a bit on my behalf last time. I would not have thought that necessary since it is the village culture, but I am thankful that he wanted to honor me in that way.)

Adventures on Buses
I rode most places in the Jefferson's truck during my first month in Salvador. Now I'm largely responsible for getting to their house for work, to church, and to Portuguese lessons on my own, so I'm still trying to figure out which buses go where (there are no brightly colored maps like you find in cities like Paris and Barcelona).

Consequently I've had two long, unexpected tours of the city by bus this week. The good news is that it has been very educational and I have had some simple conversations with Brazilians.
(I'm thankful that we have buses and taxi's in the city. See picture for a common site as you go further inland.)

Crossing the Street
I'm no longer nervous standing on the center stripe of a fast and furious street full of buses, cars, and insane motorcyclists (I hope my mom is not reading this). It's the only way to cross...one side at a time that is. Last night a hippie looking lady and I waited so long for a clearing that I got fed up and motioned to her that I was gonna run for it. She decided to join me, trotted towards me nervously, and grabbed my hand for the run!! Hehe! I'm not sure if I was acting as the Mom or she was. Once we had celebrated our victory God's Spirit stirred me to attempt a conversation with her. It was lovely. We parted ways when she saw a friend and I ducked into the hole-in-the-wall store where I buy bread each day, but then 10 minutes later as I was trudging up a steep hill we ran into each other again! Amen! She told me she lived right there, and I told her I still had a long walk home. I really hope to see her again soon since I walk down her street every morning at 6:30. It will rock if we get to talk about Jesus.

No comments: