Thursday, October 2, 2008

Quilombo Visit

This is the ground that will soon be covered by a church! Several years ago there was not one single Christian in this village. It started with one and now there are 15-30 meeting 3 times a week. A man from our church in the city is footing the whole bill, and Brazilians and Americans will join together and take this thang from foundation to furnishings about 2 weeks from now. I can hardly wait!

The lady on the right is Deborah Jefferson (whom I work for). Through the process of moving into her new apartment last week she found many things she wanted to give to some women in this Quilombo. The women lined up and got to approach the tailgate of our truck and fill a bag or two. They were very thankful and Deborah had a good time sharing! I kept thinking of Jesus words that urge us to come buy bread without money. How great is His gift!

Look at the gun show!! Aren't they cute! Little boys (...and big boys too) are the same all around the world. These two fellas kept begging me to take their picture, posing this way and that, and telling me all sorts of amusing things that I could not understand.


Singing in English, Portuguese, and American Sign Language on the kick-off night of a church's missions emphasis week. All of the children were dressed in costumes to represent the nations of the world. It was a charismatic church in our city and the kids were waving little white squares of fabric around like flags as we worshipped our Great King. 3 little girls did an interpretive dance, and Keith (my boss) got after it while preaching! I enjoyed it so much.

I have sung at about 10 churches so far and Keith often preaches. Deborah is a wonderful support to both of us. We are forming relationships with other potential partners and enjoying the fellowship in Christ. People have received Christ at every single service I've attended. Sometimes as many as 15. It's hard for me to not weep when I see them humbly or excitedly approach the front to declare their repentence. One woman at our church had been counseling with the pastor for quite sometime because she was strongly tempted to kill all of her family members. Several weeks ago she gave her life to Christ instead. Amen.

On a side note: I liked this dress when I bought it for $12.00 a few weeks ago, but I have worn it so many times already I'd kinda like to burn it (halfway kidding). :-)

No comments: