Friday, October 17, 2008

Me...a Surfer?

Today I missed my morning jog so during my lunch hour I walked about a mile or two to the beach to swim for exercise. While swimming, out of no where (well he was behind the big wave) appeared a surfer headed straight for my head. What should the uneducated do in this situation? Fortunately he stood up and sank about 6 feet in front of me. He said something in Portuguese that I didn't understand but then we discovered that we could communicate in English (it's not very common for me to run across English speakers).

Long story short-ish, we talked about my work as a missionary, and he closed off a bit when I began to talk about Christ, so I prayed that the Lord would soften his heart and continued down a different topic of conversation. When he asked me if I wanted to try surfing my immediate answer was NO! I've have long said that I would never surf (too scared and generally uninterested) but must admit I have grown more curious after watching them every morning as I jog. So after another topic of conversation I told him that I changed my mind but was nervous.

First I learned how to get on the durn board. Then how to balance my body on the board as the waves came (without tipping over). Next I learned how to paddle while remaining balanced, and then how to stand up. He made the instructions sound so easy, and I knew it could not be as easy as it sounded, but I just jumped up and he lit up like a light telling me that it was almost perfect. What? 2 more practice "pop ups" and I was ready for a wave! After riding a few small waves, and missing a few too, I was ready to paddle out to some larger ones! Yay, this was so scary and fun! Finally I felt myself getting tired and we took a break before just a few more big waves came and we called it a day.

The little rest turned into a quite full conversation in which I got to tell him how my sins have been forgiven, how the Holy Spirit teaches me from within and helps me understand the Bible, and how Christ has totally changed my life. I got to explain a little about the character of Jesus and some of His teachings while on earth. (The only exposure this guy has had to Christianity has been catholicism and charasmatic churches where the preacher yells at you and asks for all of your money. I was happy to explain how unlike Christ many of those beliefs are)

Several times thoughout the lesson he would interject a random question like "How long have you been a missionary?", and 10 minutes later another stand-alone question like "Are your family members Christians too?" When we returned to the shore I offered him the book of Luke for his reading pleasure but he kinda skirted around the offer and never ended up taking it. I will see him again in a few weeks for a free Brazilian martial arts lesson on the beach, and will be praying for his soul until then! Praise the Lord who does all things supremely!

I was horrified when I got home and saw my lobsterfied face (very unwise!). I have "strawberries" on my knee, hips, and ribs, and a really sore neck...but it was totally worth it!

Here's to facing your fears!! And here's to letting yourself enjoy the Lord's blessings! And I just can't go without saying how matchless the Lord is.

(Caption: "Call me"...err...uh..."Hang loose")

3 comments:

Court said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Court said...

Sarah! That's so awesome. I would have been so mad if you had the opportunity to learn to surf and you didn't take it! :) Glad you did. Congrats!

Casey said...

Lobster Sarah! I love you and am praying for you!