Monday, October 13, 2008

New English Service--Outreach Tool!

A long and sweet Sunday, increased my compassion for ministers everywhere who do 3+ services a weekend.

Yesterday was our first church service in English at the church that we regularly attend on Sunday's (in the city). The pastors there have great love for the Jeffersons, and consequently me too. They asked us if we'd be willing to hold a 6:00 service in English so that people can invite unbelieving friends, co-workers, neighbors to come learn or polish their English for free! The normal evening service in Portuguese is right afterwards so many people will likely attend both.

Last night was our first service and, though hardly advertised, we had about 80 in attendance! My soul was deeply blessed as we sang many songs, involved congregants in scripture reading and "special music", and then Keith preached on being quick to listen and slow to speak. It was a switch to have to help the people sitting next to me find scriptures whose book names they didn't recognize...and I admit that I had the urge to stand up and say "this is how I feel!"...but resisted! :-) Oh that many who come for free exposure to English will get more than they bargained for...opened eyes, repentance, faith, eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord!

Afterwards we had about 10 minutes to talk with people IN ENGLISH before hopping into the truck and traveling across the city to lead services at another church. The pastor of that church has a burden for the struggles that America is going through right now so they called us onto the stage, stretched out their hands, and prayed for the US. Lovely.

I got back to my apartment at about midnight, thanking the Lord for the privledge of proclaiming His Word.

No comments: